Monday, March 4, 2013

Social Media Research

The first social media site I tried was Stumbleupon.com. I have been on this site before, but just for entertainment purposes. I have never really used a social media site for research or school at all for that matter. I did not really find anything specifically for my research topic question. I did find a lot of different news stories and articles related to sociology. I love looking around stumbleupon.com because you can pretty much personalize what you want to look for/at. I think it could be a great way to do research. I also enjoyed searching around Reddit.com. I found a lot of different questions and discussions on my topic. Granted, they are not from creditable authors and such, but I kind of help guide me in some direction for more in dept research. Social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook didn't really help me. I feel as if those are more of a just connecting with friends and family sites and not discussion or information sites. I use both Facebook and Twitter but just for personal reasons like keeping up with friends and stuff. I also use Tumblr, but that is also just for entertainment purposes. I don't use it for research nor do I think it would be a good social media site for research.

1 comment:

  1. Katelynn, I really like how you describe these networks as a way to "guide (you) in some direction for more in depth research." I think that's exactly how we should be using them. Not as the end-all facts or the source we end up citing in a paper, but an entry point into the debates, different viewpoints and up-to-date discussions that are occurring in different fields. This is similar to the ways we talked about using Wikipedia for research.

    ReplyDelete